Friday, April 27, 2007

Girls and Boys

On the way to preschool this week, Meredith anounced that "I wish my daddy was a girl." We had a discussion about mommies versus daddies and it became clear that Meredith was saying that she wanted an "all-girl family." (Daddy is the weak link apparently.) After some persuation Meredith acknowledged that boys have their good points as well. She confided that sometimes she likes to play with the nice boys at preschool. (Her emphasis.) I tried to get to the bottom of what would be so great about a girl-only household, but didn't get many specifics.

I wasn't too bothered by the request to reassign my gender or be replaced. The next day Meredith wanted to pretend to have a wedding where I was the groom. It is very interesting to watch a preschooler try to make sense of the world. "Why?" is the most used phrase in our house these days. Sometimes "why" is used because she doesn't understand what is being said in the first place; sometimes "why" is used because she is intensely curious; and sometimes asking "why?" is a great delay tactic.

No comments: